EPIC engages educators and decision makers at the state and local levels to align policy and practice. Through the lens of our work supporting district- and school-level educators, EPIC researchers employ a unique array of methodologies and analytical approaches to complex policy issues.
Policy and Practice
- Define issues through a comprehensive understanding of the educational policy context. EPIC conducts environmental scans through the coded analysis of policy documents, print and web-based communications, interview transcripts, and other qualitative data.
- Understand the research on emerging policy issues. EPIC researchers conduct literature reviews by systematically gathering and analyzing research on emerging policy issues, with technical considerations of validity, reliability, conflicting findings, and gaps in the literature.
- Review and organize data to better understand and to improve educational systems through data analysis. EPIC researchers are skilled in quantitative methods to perform a variety of analyses on public and proprietary data sets.
- Join with stakeholders through design charettes as codesigners of solutions to some of the most critical problems facing education today. EPIC has adapted the charette process for educational decision makers, borrowing from the fields of architecture and public planning.
- Facilitate connections between secondary and postsecondary education at the local level. Working within a policy framework, EPIC staff convene educators and/or decision makers from secondary and postsecondary education to identify common areas of concern and to address the current state of the policy environment regarding secondary–postsecondary alignment and articulation.
Policy in Action